D O R
A southern Phoenician town in the
D ’ r (phoen.)
Khirbat al Burj (nowadays)
The settlement is located near Tanturah.
An Englishman Thomson describes the area in 1857 as follows: “a sad and dreary hamlet…..
a nude beach, separated from the eastern hills by a swampy area.”
The swamps are now gone. The ridge of Kurkar is still there. Kurkar is a sandstone type, which is hardened by water and wind. Furthermore there are dunes and relics of the oak forests (Tabor oak=Quercus ithaburensis).
To the north of Dor we find Atlit and to the south the Nahr Zerka (blue river) or
Crocodile river (Plinius). A little further to the south
there is Caesarea or the . The latter
suggests, that it was made by an Astarte, the Phoenician. tower